How to make dagga cookies aka Cannabis edibles at home.
Since dagga/cannabis/marijuana has been decriminalized in South Africa there are more people wanting to learn different ways to ingest Cannabis for its medicinal and nutritional benefit.
Dagga cookies and other cannabis edibles are a great way to get the absolute best out of your medical marijuana without taking in the by-products of combustion from smoking Cannabis etc. That being said marijuana edibles should also be approached with caution as once you’ve consumed the cookie there’s no turning back. Which is why it’s always advisable to start with a small amount eg. half a cookie rather eating all 12 or 24 because they tasted so delicious. If you do find yourself too “high” then you may want to read our article on how to counteract a too intense Cannabis high here.
There’s nothing quite like the comforting taste of chewy, homemade cookies right out of the oven—except, perhaps, a bit of cannabis to complement the enticing flavours. Bake these infused sweets with chunks of rich chocolate, creamy peanut butter, and a dash of sea salt for a delicious twist on the classic chocolate-chip cookie.
Before you begin cooking with Cannabis it would be a good idea to read up on the process of decarboxylation here.
The most simple method is simply to grind up your Cannabis and remove any large stalks and mix the grounded up plant material into your cookie, muffin or brownie recipe and bake for at least 30mins at 180 degrees.
If there exists inside of you a foodie or you simply love to cook and want to make the best dagga cookies ever to impress your friends or simply for yourself then you will first want to learn how to make Cannabutter.
The easiest way to make Cannabutter is to use the Magical Butter Machine.
Making dagga cookies is a good way to share with friends and easily monitor your dosage. Say you have used an 28g of Cannabis in your canna butter, that is 28 grams of Cannabis infused into the canna oil. A bowl smoked is 0.3 to 1 gram. So, if you make 28 cookies, each cookie is a large bowl smoked. If you have used a very potent strain, make 56 small cookies or advise your guests to break the cookies in half and have just a small piece every two hours. You can easily monitor your dose by having just one cookie or half of a cookie every two hours.
Making marijuana cookies is simple. Just use the recipe on a store-bought cookie mix and use your cannabutter where the recipe calls for butter or oil.
If you are making cookies from scratch, you will need these ingredients:
- Chocolate chips, two cups
- All-purpose flower, two cups
- Sugar, half a cup
- Brown sugar, half a cup
- Baking soda, teaspoon
- Salt, teaspoon
- Vanilla extract, teaspoon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of cannabutter
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees. Put your canna butter in a large mixing bowl and mix in your vanilla extract and sugar. Use another bowl and mix your flour, salt, and baking soda. Stir in your eggs, brown sugar, chips, and all other ingredients, mixing in just enough water to make a hard semi-solid. Now stir in your canna butter and size your cookies by how much weed you used. If you used a half ounce, make at least 14 cookies. Each cookie will be equal to one large bowl of smoked Cannabis. Remember effects take at least an hour, so don’t eat too many cookies but enjoy just one cookie or a half and you will get amazing results.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies with Sea Salt
Start to finish: 2 hours 30 minutes (active: 30 minutes)
Yields: 12 cookies
Approximate dosage: 10mg THC per cookie*
- ½ cup (or about 120mg worth, depending on your butter’s potency) of cannabutter, melted*
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg plus 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- Flake sea salt, for topping
- 2 cookie sheets
- Parchment paper
- In a large bowl, beat the cannabutter, peanut butter, sugar, and salt with an electric mixer. When a fluffy consistency is reached, beat in the egg yolk.
- When the egg yolk is well blended, add the other egg and the vanilla and continue beating until well combined.
- With the mixer on low, add the flour and beat only until doughy. Stir in the chocolate chunks and mix until well distributed.
- Divide the dough in half, and cover each half with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C. Line the cookie sheets with parchment paper. Remove dough from the refrigerator and divide into small, evenly-sized balls by rolling (we recommend covering your hands in flour to avoid sticking). Dough portion size should be a little smaller than a golf ball.
- Place dough on parchment paper about 5-7cm apart. Flatten dough balls to about 1/2 cm thick with your hand or using a flour-covered glass jar base. Sprinkle each with sea salt.
- Bake cookies until golden brown, usually about 7–9 minutes, rotating each sheet’s oven position halfway through baking. After baking, remove cookies immediately to cooling rack and allow to cool. Enjoy!
*Note: The amount of cannabis butter specified in this recipe is a very loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your cannabutter and the potency you desire. Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis or alcohol.