How to make CBD bath bombs
It’s no secret that bath bombs have been a hot commodity for some time now—these palm-sized fizzies come in a variety of shapes and colors while boasting excellent skin benefits. Pairing those benefits with the added body-relaxing effects provided by cannabis can lead to the ease of tension, reduced inflammation, and overall tranquility.
A CBD bath bomb can accompany any bath ritual. Light a few candles, put on some soft melodies, and draw your preferred bath, as usual. When ready to soak, simply drop the bomb into the water, which will set off a chemical reaction between the citric acid and the bicarbonate of the baking soda. The result is carbon dioxide, which produces the fun fizz. To reap the full effects, soak in your CBD bath for a minimum of 30 minutes.
Determining How Much CBD Oil to Use
If you are familiar with CBD oil, you probably know that it comes in many different forms and strengths, from CBD oil tinctures, to edibles and even pet treats! For this recipe, we want to use plain CBD oil or CBD Isolate to ensure accurate and consistent dosing. Depending on what type of results you are seeking from your bath bomb, you may use more or less CBD oil. I recommend making a few CBD oil bath bombs with different concentrations to find which one works best for you.
The minimum amount of CBD oil for a relaxing bath bomb is about 25mg of CBD oil total. If you are seeking pain relief, try between 50–100mg CBD oil per bath bomb. For deep relaxation and pain relief you may want to try adding up to 200mg of CBD oil per bath bomb.
The tricky part is figuring out the total amount of CBD oil you need to add to your entire bath bomb mixture. Here’s how to figure it out: In order to have the same amount of CBD in each bath bomb, multiply the desired amount of milligrams per bath bomb by the number of bath bombs you are making.
To make a quantity of 10 extra-large 140g bath bombs, with 25mgs of CBD oil per bath bomb, you will need a total of 1.4kg bath bomb mix made with a total of 250mgs total of CBD oil.
If you are wanting to make your own CBD coconut oil then you can learn how to do that by clicking here.
Bath Bomb Mixing and Molding
When making a CBD oil bath bomb you will be combining the dry ingredients first, and slowly adding the wet ingredients. Make sure your dry ingredients are clump free before adding the wet ones. The trick is to combine the two without fully activating the dry ingredients. You don’t want your bath bombs to fizz up before they make it to the bath!
When adding the wet ingredients, do so incrementally, while whisking. If a fizzy area appears, quickly mix it in with the rest of the ingredients to diffuse the situation. You may want to set aside extra dry ingredients to quell premature fizz ups. The mix should hold its form when you squeeze a handful of it and let go.
How to Make Your Own Cannabis Bath Bombs
Start to finish: 3+ hours (active: 15 minutes)
Yields: 1 bath bomb
- Bath bomb molds (we love these ones)
- 115g baking soda
- 60g corn starch
- 60g citric acid
- 60g epsom salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon essential oil
- ¼ teaspoon THC or CBD infused coconut oil or tincture
- 1–2 drops food coloring or mica color powder
- Combine all dry ingredients (except color) in a bowl. Whisk until evenly mixed.
- Combine all wet ingredients (except color) in a small glass vessel (a shot glass works perfectly).
- Very slowly, stir the liquid mixture into the dry mixture, whisking as you go. If you see lots of fizzing, you’re going too fast. If you’re using food drops for coloring, add them now.
- After all ingredients are evenly combined, the mixture should feel like damp sand. To test it out, put a small amount in your hand and squeeze. It should stick together in 1–2 big chunks once you release your hand. Add a few more drops of water if it doesn’t. Once you reach the desired consistency, mix in the color powder (if using).
- Fill each half of your mold with the mixture until it is a little over-filled, but don’t pack too densely. Loosely sprinkle some more of the mixture on each half (this helps the two sides meld).
- Press the halves together firmly and hold for a few seconds. Gently remove one side of the mold.
- Place the bath bomb mold side down and allow to dry for about 20 minutes. Carefully remove the other side of the mold in a gentle twisting motion. (Pro tip: Bath bombs can fall apart very easily, but you can remold one side or re-mix the whole ball and start over if you need to.)
- Let sit for a few hours (or preferably overnight) until bath bomb is totally firm, then enjoy a soothing cannabis-infused bath and let your stress melt away
Once your CBD oil bath bombs are dry, you can toss one in a hot bath, or wrap them up pretty for gift giving! Be sure to store in a cool, dry place where they will not be disturbed to avoid breakage.