What Are CBD Edibles – And What Are the Advantages of Eating Them?
An ‘edible’ is a product that you eat. Traditionally, the word edible has been associated with something that contains marijuana/dagga. When most people hear the word edible, for instance, they think of dagga cookies or space cakes.
CBD edibles are quite different.
Cannabidiol (CBD) is becoming one of the most popular supplements around. CBD is a cannabinoid produced by the cannabis plant. While it does not provide a psychotropic “high” like THC, there’s no doubt that CBD can have a positive effect on general health and wellbeing.
To give you the rundown on why these tasty treats are so great, here are 10 amazing benefits of CBD edibles:
- CBD is non-psychotropic CBD may be a cannabis compound, but many are surprised to find that it does not cause a psychotropic “high”. Instead, the cannabinoid offers consumers a mellow mood uplift with a sense of positive, alerted energy. With their long-lasting nature, CBD edibles can provide prolonged relief from mild pains and daily stresses. These would be a great option for anyone hoping to enjoy the benefits of cannabis without an over-the-top psychoactive experience.
- CBD edibles provide long-lasting relief CBD edibles have several benefits over smoking cannabis or inhaling a CBD vapor pen. While it takes a while for CBD edibles to take effect (between 30 minutes to two hours), the result is relief that lasts longer than inhalation. In a CBD edible, the active compound is combined with other foodstuffs. This means that the CBD is released slowly over a long period of time as food is digested. The result is a long-lasting CBD experience. In fact, CBD edibles can last between two and four hours longer than inhaled CBD.
- Less risk of lung irritation While vapor pens are more popular than ever, the long-term implications of inhaling hot oil are still yet to be determined. Many vapor pens also contain added thinning agents, like propylene glycol (PG) and polyethylene glycol (PEG). Research suggests that these thinning agents may produce toxic carcinogens when heated to temperatures above 224°c. While it is possible to find vapor pens that do not contain these additives, CBD edibles are an excellent way to avoid inhaling potentially toxic compounds. This saves the lungs from irritation.
- Allows for greater plant synergy Cannabis isn’t the only therapeutic plant out there. Evidence suggests that compounds in the herb, like CBD, interact with other plant molecules to produce amplified effects. Lavender, for example, contains an aroma molecule called linalool. Linalool belongs to a class of compounds called terpenes. Terpenes are scent molecules that give many plants their unique fragrance. As you may have guessed, cannabis contains an abundance of terpenes. When making CBD edibles at home, adding other beneficial herbs to your culinary creation may help modulate the effects of the cannabinoid. Linalool, the lavender compound, is known to have calming effects. Mixing some CBD into a lavender tea or dessert may amplify the mellow effects of each herbal remedy.
- CBD balances the psychoactive effects of THC Worried about getting little too elevated for comfort? CBD edibles may help balance out a psychotropic THC. While edibles tend to take a while to kick in, consuming a little CBD with your THC is a great way to moderate the psychoactive experience. Research suggests that CBD can calm the psychoactive effects of THC, toning down what could be an uncomfortable experience for some. Those that want a slight psychoactive experience may want to mix and match pre-dosed THC and CBD edibles.
- CBD edibles are easy to dose When you inhale CBD via a vape pen or through smoke, it can be very difficult to determine exactly how much CBD you are getting each time. Many purchased CBD edibles come in pre-dosed servings, enabling you to calculate how much CBD you have consumed and how much you need to consume to achieve your desired results.
- Edibles are discreet Designed for convenience, CBD edibles are the perfect option for small dosages while on-the-go. Some forms of CBD can be cumbersome or impractical. Even pocket vaporizers can get quite large and it may not always be convenient to pull out a pen vape to get your daily dose. Those needing pain relief during a long flight or a focus boost during the workday will appreciate the ability to simply throw back a CBD gummy or two and get back to business. No vape break required.
- CBD edibles are a helpful general remedy Researchers are investigating different ways to use CBD in medicine. Already, CBD-based pharmaceutical drugs have been proven successful in treating some types of epilepsy in clinical trials. Yet, you don’t need to have a serious medical condition to benefit from CBD. CBD edibles may also be beneficial supplements to those with milder and first-aid related ailments. Many people take ibuprofen or another anti-inflammatory drug after a minor injury, headache, or joint pain. CBD, however, has been found to work in similar ways to these over-the-counter remedies without some of the harsh side effects like stomach ulcer and gastrointestinal bleeding.
- CBD is well-tolerated with minimal side effects CBD can come with some side effects in high doses. In fact, there is evidence that suggests that high-dose CBD may enhance the effects of pharmaceutical medications, making it necessary for consumers to lower their doses. However, CBD is considered generally well-tolerated and even high-doses of the cannabinoid produce but minimal side effects.
- They’re available online Another great benefit of CBD edibles? They’re available online. CBD edibles sold online are “hemp-derived”. Hemp and cannabis are the same plant. However, the word cannabis is often used when discussing varieties of the plant capable of producing psychoactive THC.
Hemp is frequently grown for fiber and seed, yet the term has recently been applied to high-CBD/low-THC cannabis cultivars. In South Africa, cannabis with less than 0.2 percent THC is considered hemp.
Hemp products sold online are made from this form of cannabis.
How Long Does It Take for CBD Edibles to Take Effect?
CBD edibles are quite different from CBD oils. For those used to taking CBD oil, edibles might take a little getting used to.
The primary difference between edibles and tinctures is the length of time the CBD takes to kick in. With a tincture, you are looking at around 15 minutes before you can notice the effects of CBD working on your system. With an edible, the timeframe is usually much longer.
An edible can take anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours to kick in. A variety of factors can affect how you an edible is processed in the body. This leads to considerable variation from user to user. Factors that influence CBD edible metabolism include height and weight, activity level, and even what you’ve eaten that day.
Of course, you can’t overdose on CBD, so there’s little need to worry about taking too much. Nevertheless, we strongly advise against eating more than one edible in the event that you don’t feel anything. If you do so, you increase the risk of experiencing CBD’s side effects from over-consumption.
What Are the Side Effects of CBD Edibles?
In terms of CBD edibles effects, you are mostly looking at the same list of side effects that you get with any CBD product.
CBD is generally safe to take for people of all ages. There is not much to worry about, as there has never been a recorded overdose from CBD. That said, there are some known side effects of CBD (though not everybody will experience them).
For example, some edibles users may experience:
- Dry mouth
If any of these side effects take place, you probably took too high a dose. Lower the dose in the following days, and see how you get on. If you keep feeling adverse effects, stop taking CBD.
Another great thing about CBD edibles is that you have so many to choose from. Some edibles are more common or popular than others, but you’ll be able to find something to suit you. And even if you don’t see something you like online, you can buy CBD oil and make your own CBD edibles at home!
South Africans are now able to choose from a huge variety of CBD edibles, ranging from CBD gummies, CBD chocolate to lollipops and more. You can even get CBD-infused mints, allowing you to consume your CBD dose along with a refreshing peppermint scent. And now that summer is around the corner how about some tasty CBD ice-cream!
What’s your favorite kind of CBD edible? Let us know your favorites in the comments down below.
If you are wanting to buy CBD edibles online then consider trying the CANNAFRICA range – their CBD gummies are delicious and their chocolate muffins are so good!
With so many CBD edible products to choose from, what are you waiting for?
Pop into their store at Willowbridge Mall, Durbanville, or simply head over to their website at the link below.
www.shopcannafrica.co.za and order your CBD edibles online today.
CANNAFRICA products go through rigorous in-house and third-party quality checks for cannabinoid potency, heavy metal, pesticide as well as microbiological contamination. All their products are made with only natural ingredients, there are no artificial colours, fragrances or preservatives added. So enjoy your CBD edibles with piece of mind that the products you are enjoying are quality tested and within the legal limits as set out by SAHRPA.
iCann baking premixes are manufactured to be of exceptional quality ensuring a consistent bake every time. Each one of its premixes and baking ingredients are quality tested so be confident they will exceed even the toughest critics expectations, which your whole family will love and come back for more. All products are HACCP accredited so you can be sure they meet stringent food safety guidelines
CANNAFRICA HANDMADE MINI JELLIES are produced in a certified FSSC 22000 facility using traditional handworked methods and incorporate machines as old as 130 years. Every Mini Jelly is processed slowly and methodically, mixing tested CBD isolate through completely, before being cut by hand and tossed through a delicious sugar coating.